kardrath: (Default)
[personal profile] kardrath
I got clipped by a bloke in an Audi going round a roundabout on the way back from the reenactment market.

As this is the first time I've been involved in an accident since I started driving I've got no idea of the best way to deal with it. I've got his details but haven't got mine together yet.

What's the normal procedure for this kind of thing?

Date: 2007-03-18 03:43 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] sinbadsilk.livejournal.com
Don't admit anything, just take the details and pass them on to your insurance company.

Also, the accident (I think) should be registered with the police.

Date: 2007-03-18 04:15 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] invisible-al.livejournal.com
No need to tell the police, they only want to know if there are injuries I think.

Give your Insurance companies help line a call and they'll talk you through it, send you some forms to fill in and all that.

One thing I will do if I ever get involved in a crash again is take plenty of photo's of the damage with my phone as the fucker eventually claimed I'd written off his car when he just had a smashed wing *grrrr*.

Date: 2007-03-18 04:34 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] foul-temptress.livejournal.com
if the accident was not your fault then you should claim everything through their insurance and not through your own even on a non fault.
Did they admit liability? what are the circs as roundabout claims can be tricky.
Make sure he gets your details.

Date: 2007-03-18 05:35 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] angelfire-75.livejournal.com
Oh this note. You must inform your insurance company. Give them all his details.

If it was his fault and he admitted so then contact his insurance company. If he has and it is clear it is his fault quite often they are keen to accomidate you as it reduces their costs.

If liabilty has not been admitted be really harsh with your insurance company that they persue a 'no-fault' claim. If this is resolves sucessfully the 3rd party insurers will pay your insurance company. This will mean that your no claims bonus will not be effected (and that you can claim your excess back from them plus any other reasonable expenses like taxis to and from the repairers, etc).

It's worth checking if your insurance has Third party recovery included. If it does they will refer you to a company or department that will claim all your expense back for you.

Date: 2007-03-18 07:33 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] elektrobard.livejournal.com
Think everything's been covered already.
Having done this recently myself having been caught by a bus, what I ended up doing was to contact the bus company, who in turn passed me to their insurers. It got sorted OK in the end as the driver admitted fault straight away.

As he's clipped you, I think it should be a case of much the same thing. I did make sure though, that I informed my own insurers anyway, though stating I wasn't claiming and pursuing myself. Took a bit of time, but worked out fine, and the only thing I paid was the courtesy car premium, refunded to me by the bus company's insurers.
From: [identity profile] ash1977law.livejournal.com
Well, you start like this:
"Crom, I have never prayed to you before, I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad, why we fought or how we died. No, all that matters, is that this accident is not my fault and should not count against my no-claims bonus. That's what's important. Valour pleases you, Crom, so grant me one request: grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to hell with you!"

March 2008


Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 21st, 2017 10:38 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios